- Save money
- Help reduce air pollution
- Save time
- Reduce congestion
Save time and money through smarter travel
Encouraging active lifestyles and tackling air pollution are priorities for Nottingham City Council. Your Travel Choices project offers people the opportunity to embrace the city’s comprehensive transport network and switch to affordable low carbon transport options, helping to reduce congestion and improve air quality by encouraging communities and supporting businesses to make smarter travel options.
Selected households within the Basford and Berridge area will be visited during June 2019. Travel advisors will provide residents with a range of information about Nottingham’s integrated and inclusive transport network, ensuring participants are provided with information and advice tailored to their household needs, as well as offering special offers and incentives.
Participants will also have the opportunity to enter a prize draw to win a Fitbit or one of seven shopping vouchers. Terms and conditions can be viewed here.
What is involved?
- All households within the project area will receive a postcard in advance of the visits.
- A team of trained travel advisors will visit each area to talk to residents about their travel needs.
- Following your visit you will receive the Your Travel Choices pack with information about the best travel options for you and your family and associated special offers.
- If you are not in when the travel advisors call, don’t worry you won’t miss out, as the team will leave a prepaid reply postcard so you can still request your free travel information pack.
- The team will get back in touch 3-6 months later to find out whether your travel patterns have changed as a result of the project
Special offers and incentives
We have offers which will help you save money and time – look out for the below in your travel choices pack:
- Robin Hood cards with £5 value
- Enter a prize draw for a Fitbit and seven runners up prizes of £50 intu giftcard
- Enter a selfie competition and have the opportunity to win one of five spot prizes of a £10 intu giftcard
- 20% off electric bike hire
- 20% off first year when you register for Citycard to access CityCycle Hubs
- Join Enterprise Car Club Membership for £10 and get £10 free driving credit offer
- Recommend a friend to join Enterprise Car Club Membership and get £20 free driving credit
- New Car Club members get a free Tastecard+ (worth £79.99) when they join paying full price and existing members get a Tastecard+ when they drive for 48hrs or more in a calendar month.
Smarter travel options to beat air pollution
Walking – Whether you are looking for a short walk or something a little longer Nottingham offers a range of self-guided and guided walks. This is a great and simple way of increasing your physical activity whilst exploring the local history. To find out more click here
British cycling – Cycling to work is a greener and healthier way to commute. British Cycling provides a commute membership which offers discounted retail offers, insurance, legal support, and priority access to tickets and events. Click here on how to sign up.
Cycling skills – If you’re interested in improving on your cycling or on-road skills why not attend one of RideWise’s free cycling sessions for adults and families in one of their four locations across Nottingham City. RideWise also offer bike maintenance courses, bike servicing and organised led rides and walks. To find out more click here
Nottingham Bikeworks – Nottingham Bikeworks are a non-profit organisation providing people with a full range of bike services and projects. Bikeworks can offer open workshops for communities, affordable cycle repairs and used bikes that have been refurbished and serviced by one of their bike mechanics. To find out more click here
Robin Hood Smart Card – A Robin Hood smartcard gives you the freedom to travel around Nottingham by bus, tram and train. Whether you regularly access public transport or travel occasionally purchasing a Robin Hood card is a convenient and smarter way to access Nottingham’s inclusive travel network. Smart cards can be purchased as a seasonal or pay as you go card. To find out more click here
Park and Ride – All park and ride sites are free and offer regular bus and tram services to the city centre, hospital and businesses across Nottingham. To find out more click here
Car sharing – Car sharing is where a group of people share a car journey. It is a great way to split fuel costs, improve air quality and reduce congestion with people who are travelling in the same direction. Car sharing can be used for singular or regular car journeys.The Nottinghamshire Car share Scheme is a free service run by Lift share helping people connect with other car sharers who live, work and travel in and around the Nottingham area. To find out more click here.
Car Club – Enterprise Car Club membership scheme provides 24/7 access to vehicles parked in convenient locations, without the extra costs that come with a car. Memberships includes; fuel, MOT, servicing and EV cars. Vehicles can be unlocked using the mobile app or smartcard in advance or last minute! To find out more click here
Go Electric – Switching to an electric vehicle can help tackle air pollution levels but also save you money in the future. Nottingham City Council are currently working on increasing the uptake of Ultra-Low Emission Vehicles by installing over 200 charge points, working with businesses to make sustainable travel options, providing the UK’s first Electric Vehicle lane, switching bin lorries and street sweepers to electric vehicles and building a network and partnership with local dealerships and industry experts. To find out more click here
Travel Choices Event
On Saturday 15 June 2019 Your Travel Choices will be hosting a family friendly day at Vernon Park from 11am – 3pm with lots of information and activities about travel options. Come along to find the easiest way to travel around Nottingham and help keep our air clean.
- Free travel plans
- RideWise pop up cycle centre
- See NCT’s new biogas bus
- Bike maintenance stalls
- Guided group walk
For more information email: email@example.com
This project is being funded by Department for Transport as part of the successful Nottingham Derby Access Fund bid and is part of a co-ordinated programme to reduce congestion and air pollution by supporting communities and businesses to make low carbon travel choices. The City Council is working in partnership with Derby City Council and Nottinghamshire County Council and the Household Personalised Travel Planning project uses a tried and tested approach that has been successful in other areas around the East Midlands and the UK.