- Start: 20 September 2021
- End: March 2022
Nottingham City Council has secured funding to improve the Hucknall Road corridor for people walking, cycling and using the bus.
The first phase of the scheme between Valley Road and Arnold Road is now complete and includes a 24-hour widened bus and cycle lane heading into the city and a stepped cycle lane heading out of the city. Design and consultation on further phases is in progress. Please see below for next phase of works.
Benefits of the first phase include:
- Footways resurfaced and widened footways in many places
- Tree planting
- Dedicated stepped cycle lane to enable safer cycling
- Traffic moved further from residential properties
- Improved reliability of bus services
- New resident parking bays (subject to consultation)
Works on phase one of the scheme began in Autumn 2021 between Valley Road and Arnold Road. From 4 January 2022 work began on the southernmost inbound section of Hucknall Road, just after the roundabout.
Plan showing scheme between Heathfield Road and Tring Vale:
Why are we doing this?
This project is part of Nottingham and Derby’s Transforming Cities programme. Working in partnership, Nottingham City and Derby City Councils secured £161 million from the Department for Transport to invest in local transport infrastructure that will improve sustainable transport, support growth, and encourage more low carbon journeys.
Next phase of works
The next phase of construction work is between Aldi and Bestwood Road. See plan below.
Benefits of the project include:
- Dedicated stepped cycle lane on both sides of the road to enable safer cycling
- Dedicated marked cycle lanes near the golf club
- Widened shared-use cycle and pedestrian footpath near Bestwood Road
- Improved cycle and pedestrian link to Southglade Road and Andover Road
- Footway and road resurfacing where required
What happens next?
Construction will be delivered in sections starting between Top Valley Way and Bestwood Road, working one side of the road at a time.
We are expecting this whole phase of works (Aldi to Bestwood Road) to last for ten months, during which time traffic lane widths will need to be reduced, temporary two-way lights used off peak when required and bus stops relocated when necessary.
Plan showing scheme between Southglade Road link – Bestwood Road