Electric scooter rental trial
1,300 SuperPedestrian electric scooters (e-scooters) are available for short-term hire in Nottingham, as part of a Government-backed trial.
E-scooters offer the potential for convenient, fun, clean and affordable travel, reducing reliance on car trips and lowering harmful emissions.
Our rental scheme, operated by Superpedestrian, aims to support key workers and people getting back to work in both Nottingham and Derby. The trial has since been extended until May 2024, in line with other schemes happening across the country.
Key workers can hire an e-scooter at a discounted rate of £30 per month with a pass which allows riders to take 90 15-Minute rides a month, all for one price.
Short-term rental is also available, with e-scooters available across the city for just 20p per minute (+50p unlock fee).
The aim of the scheme is to test the new form of transport to see how it works in practice, and whether it could offer a greener way to travel around the city in the future.
The Department for Transport (DfT) has made changes that allow these e-scooters to be used on public roads, using the same road space as cyclists. These changes only apply to DfT-approved schemes. It is still illegal to ride any other e-scooter on public roads.
Can I take part?
Anyone wanting to hire an e-scooter must:
- be more than 18 years old
- hold at least a provisional driving licence.
Short term pay per minute rental is available to everyone meeting the above criteria.
To hire the e-scooters on short term rental you need to download the SuperPedestrian app on your phone:
– On iPhones
– On Android
No keys, cash, or ID cards needed. After just a few clicks on the app, you can immediately hop on and enjoy your ride.
How do I use an e-scooter?
1. Download the Superpedestrian app
2. Open the app and search for nearby E-Scooters
3. Scan the QR code to unlock.
4. Enjoy your ride, follow local regulations, use bike lanes where available, and do not ride on pavements.
5. Reach your destination and “End Ride” in the app. Park correctly and make sure the vehicle is not obstructing others.
Download the app and enjoy your ride!
Superpedestrian is now offering special rates for key workers in Nottingham to provide affordable sustainable transport options to support your valuable work in our community.
If you are a key worker, live and work in Nottingham and have at least a provisional driving licence, you can sign up using this form for a Subscription Pass at a discounted price of £30 per month, including VAT, paid for by monthly direct debit.
As a Subscription Passholder, every month you can enjoy up to 90 rides using any of the scooters available for public rental in Nottingham. Please note you can ride the scooter of your choice for up to 15 minutes under the Pass. After 15 minutes and after reaching your monthly limit, our standard rates will apply.
Make an expression of interest using the key worker subscription form.
Your details will be verified by the SuperPedestrian team before getting in touch with you about the next steps.
How much does it cost?
On-street hire costs 20p per minute + 50p unlock fee (inclusive of VAT).
Key workers can purchase the monthly e-scooter pass for £30 a month inclusive of VAT.
Where can I ride the e-scooter?
The map below shows where you can ride electric scooters in the city centre. The e-scooters will not work outside the Nottingham City Council boundary.
- Riding an e-scooter on a pavement is illegal
- Riding is permitted anywhere cycles are allowed
- For your own safety, don’t ride on roads with a speed limit above 30mph, unless there is a segregated cycle route
- Only one person per e-scooter
- You are encouraged to wear your own helmet
- Watch out for pedestrians and other road users who may not be used to seeing e-scooters
Is it safe?
The safety of both participants and other road users has been a key consideration. We’ve learned lessons from pilot schemes elsewhere, and this trial has safety built in:
- Superpedestrian has numerous safeguards in place, including ‘geo-fencing’, which will allow where e-scooters can be used, and will limit e-scooters to 4mph in the city centre for the safety of riders and pedestrians. This technology means the e-scooters won’t operate outside Nottingham City Council boundaries
- Superpedestrian will provide individual or group training to users, and driver licence checks will include a two-stage verification process to minimise fraudulent sign ups
- The e-scooters themselves have several safety features, not least the fact they are neon yellow so can easily be seen. They also include a bell, lights and reflectors. The e-scooters have on-board sensors which check the vehicle health 1,000 times per second.
- Each scooter will be GPS tracked so, should any abuse be reported, Superpedestrian will be able to locate the user. Both Superpedestrian and the City Council have worked with the police and Community Protection to support enforcement
- A 24-hour customer support line is in place to enable people to report issues, abandoned e-scooters, riding on pavements or other incidents
Safety risks will be regularly reviewed throughout the trial.
Dangerous riding, riding on pavements or abandoned e-scooters can be reported by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org; by calling us at +44 808 169 9270; or by visiting www.superpedestrian.com.
Nottingham City Council was named one of the Government’s Future Transport Zones in March 2020.
The Future Transport Zone funding is all about testing emerging technologies that could provide greener travel options in the future, providing an opportunity to gain more understanding of the possible solutions to achieve our longer term ambitions, including becoming carbon neutral by 2028.
A copy of the experimental traffic regulation order in place permitting the use of these e-scooters on public roads is available to download below, along with a copy of the Equality Impact and Risk Assessments developed to address safety issues.
For more information on Derby City Council’s scheme.
For more information on Superpedestrian.